We invite you to participate in The HAPPENING.
Here are some ways you can get involved.
The Happening festival is run by volunteers who live or work in the community. We currently have no hired hands so we count on help with logistics, communications, social media, printing and more from our volunteers. The HAPPENING is a great way to get to know the locals and support the community.
Send us an email with how you would like to help out and when you are available.
Wellington West Businesses: Invitation to Participate in The Happening 2019
We invite all Wellington West businesses to participate in The Happening Festival that will be taking place from May 24 to June 1, 2019. To get involved in this years festival, please read these instructions as well as the enclosed poster and passport, and contact us for more information.
1. Plan fun activities May 24 to May 31, 2019 to help celebrate #WellingtonWest, your business, customers and the community. Suggestions include:
Special events like demos, concerts, open houses
“#Happening" menu items (food or drink)
Sidewalk or indoor sales
Events can also be your regular weekly events that you would like to showcase, with a "HappeningHood" spin
2. Send the event details to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will do our best to send a volunteer to live post from your event. (Please note: these are your events and The Happening is not to be held liable for them)
3. Promote your event(s) on social media using #HappeningHood and tag @HappeningOttawa (Facebook, Twitter,Instagram). We will create a post and work to amplify the messaging along with the rest of the neighbourhood. We will not be publishing the event listings. We can send you The Happening 2019 logo if you request one. Follow @HappeningOttawa on social media and engage in our content. Continue to promote your events through your usual methods to reach clients who do not use social media (ie, posters, table cards, e-newsletters).
4. We encourage you to collaborate with your neighbouring businesses to hold complementary events to bring people to your area of Wellington West on the same day/time of day to help amplify the street.
5. Please put the enclosed Happening poster up in your business in a visible place. We have also created a #HappeningHood Passport campaign to help to draw people to as many locations as possible during the festival. The passports with the most visits to participating businesses with the name of the business and signature from the staff of the business will be entered in a draw to win a Happening prize pack. If you need more, please let us know (First come first serve). Please explain the #HappeningHood campaign to your staff and agree on a consistent way to validate the passports from your business so we know it is legit. (eg, set name that you write on each passport beside your businesses name).
6. Please help to promote the #HappeningHood events as well as The Happening ArtsPark which will be at Parkdale Park, Saturday June 1, 10am to 10pm. This event is held in collaboration with the Hintonburg Community Association. Full details are on our website! Be sure to come by the volunteer booth to say hi!
The HappENing ArtsPark
We are putting together a fun lineup for The HAPPENING ArtsPark to be held on Saturday, June 1, 10am to 10pm at Parkdale Park! We will be looking for artists, makers, musicians, breweries, food carts, children's entertainers and volunteers to organize the party. Get in touch if you are interested in taking part.
We are seeking community sponsors to cover the costs of The HAPPENING. Expenses include all of the costs for The Happening ArtsPark, insurance, permits, promotional materials, decorations, and honorariums to artists. The more money we raise, better the festival will be!
Sponsoring the festival is a great way to show your support of the community and the arts. As a sponsor, the promotion you will receive on our popular social media channels will help you reach new audiences in a fun way.
We need support from the whole community for the event to be a success. Here are some of the ways you can support the festival in addition to sponsoring:
Trading for services (for example, printing or postering)
Providing food and drink donations for the opening party
Being an artist and/or business participant in The HAPPENING events
Volunteering leading up to and during the festival
Please help make this volunteer-run event a success by becoming a valued sponsor or supporter. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Brenda Dunn, Sponsorship / Communications Director.